I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this, but we’ve been accomplishing #61 on our 101 Things to Do in 1001 Days list: eat meatless for a month. Meatless month has been a beautiful thing. It’s been great to try out new recipes, save money (meat is pricey!), and generally feel good about the sheer volume of produce we’ve eaten (hint: lots).
(Our version of meatless month meant we didn’t purchase any chicken, fish, pork, beef, etc. We kept eggs on the “okay” list, so please no snarky comments about eggs being meat)
One of our favorite recipe concoctions was this veggie-fied version of breakfast burritos. Loaded with roasted veggies, and given a Southwestern twist with black beans, cilantro, and salsa, these breakfast burritos were delicious and SO full of flavor!
We typically make pretty basic breakfast burritos when we have them. Potatoes, eggs, and cheese. Period. We decided that going halvsies with sweet potatoes and Russet potatoes, and adding in some peppers, onions, and mushrooms would bring more color and vitamins to the table.
You could certainly pan-fry the vegetables if you prefer (you’ll need a giant skillet). We just went the roasting route since I was entertaining a toddler and making scrambled eggs at the same time. Having the vegetables take care of themselves helped keep these low-key.
I haven’t tried freezing them, but I know lots of people who make breakfast burritos, wrap them in foil, freeze them and pull them out one at a time for breakfasts or lunches throughout the week. If you try this, I’d LOVE to know how they turned out!
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 1″ pieces)
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced (about 1″ pieces)
- 1 onion, diced (about 1″ pieces)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1″ pieces)
- 8oz mushrooms, quartered
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 eggs
- 3-4 Tbsp milk or water*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- grated cheese*
- In a small bowl, toss sweet potato, potato, onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms with garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and a good healthy pinch of salt and pepper. Toss with a small drizzle of olive oil and spread out into a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- While the vegetables are roasting, make scrambled eggs. Heat a medium nonstick pan over medium heat (coat with nonstick spray, olive oil, or butter if needed). While pan is heating, whisk together eggs and milk with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into the heated pan and cook over medium heat 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until eggs are cooked through and set.
- Assemble breakfast burritos by layering roasted vegetables, scrambled eggs, black beans, a little grated cheese, and a little cilantro in the center of the tortilla. Fold top and bottom ends in toward the filling and roll the tortilla up. Serve with salsa.