More and more, I’m favoring methods rather than strict recipes. You may have gathered that given the number of suggestions for ways to change things up in pretty much every recipe over the last many months. I guess that the thing I want people to know about cooking (especially healthy cooking) is that it doesn’t have to be hard or boring.
I absolutely love taking a lazy weekend afternoon to roast a whole chicken or make something more time-intensive or fancy. But I think that the most consistent success in making healthy eating and healthy cooking part of your regular routine comes from making it accessible. And, for most of us, there are more busy days and evenings in a week than there are days for long or laborious cooking.
I’ll never give up a good fancy-pants recipe (I’m looking at you birthday cake) for good, but I love something quick and easy for weeknights. These BLT Chicken Salad Avocado Cups are a fresh and fabulous example.
Use up cooked chicken (or pick up a rotisserie chicken!), and mix it together with a few simple ingredients. Scoop the whole thing into half of an avocado and pair with some fresh fruit and maybe some corn muffins or corn bread for a delicious, filling dinner.
The beauty of this idea is, like any sort of sandwich, you can change it up any way you like. Feel free to stir in a bit of diced celery or some chopped bell peppers if you like, or swap ranch dressing for the mayo. Maybe the BLT Chicken Salad vibe isn’t your jam. In that case, my go-to Classic Chicken Salad is also awesome in an avocado.
Notes on the recipe:
Speedy tips. I bake my bacon (using this method), and when I’m making some for a recipe or breakfast-for-dinner, I often cook an extra batch to store in the freezer. That way I get twice the prep done and my house only has that after-bacon smell once. I can pull out a few pieces for a salad (or these avocado boats) or pull out the whole batch later for a different recipe. Try it and you’ll forever be a convert!
Packing for lunch. This also makes an awesome lunch. To pack, squeeze a little fresh lime juice over your halved avocado in the morning when you pack it, and then scoop the chicken salad on top right before eating. Bingo!
Change it up. Instead of serving it in avocado boats, you can dice up the avocado, stir it right into the chicken salad and eat it with crackers or wrap it up in a tortilla or gluten free wrap.
Like this recipe? You might also like:
- How to Make Perfect Bacon in the Oven – The Kitchn
- THE BEST Paleo Mayo + Ranch Dressing (Whole30 Friendly!)
- Ranch Chicken Bake
- Classic Chicken Salad
- Quick and Easy Summer Chicken Salad – Bless This Mess
- 2 avocados, halved
- 1½ cups cooked chicken
- ½ cup baby tomatoes
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro or basil
- 3-4 Tbsp mayo (more or less, to taste)
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, stir together chicken, tomatoes, bacon, green onion, cilantro (or basil), and mayo. Squeeze over juice of 1 lime and add salt and pepper to taste. If desired, add more mayo to reach your desired consistency.
- Scoop chicken salad onto avocado halves and serve immediately!
- You can also dice up the avocado, mix it into the chicken salad, and serve with crackers, chips, or wrap it in a tortilla or gluten free wrap.