Stuffed Cabbage Roll Soup – We’ve taken a classic recipe (stuffed cabbage rolls) and made it easier than ever by turning into this hearty, warming, delicious soup. It’s amazing!
I love the idea of stuffed cabbage rolls, but I wanted to make them as easy as possible, which meant a lot less steaming and stuffing and rolling and a whole lot more “let’s cook this in one pot, okay?”
This cabbage roll soup is my idea of perfect. It’s easy, inexpensive, and completely delicious. It’s also really flexible, so it fits into a LOT of different meal plans and eating styles. The perfect recipe to kick off the new year!
It’s hearty and warming without weighing you down or throwing your healthy eating game off. I made this a few times while testing it, and it makes SUCH amazing lunches. The soup gets better with time, so the flavor will only appreciate and intensify as time goes on.
Notes on the Recipe:
Paleo? Whole30? No problem! I’ve made this with grated zucchini and cauliflower “rice.” Of the two, I much preferred grated zucchini, but the choice is yours! You can also simply add more veggies instead. I like any combination of zucchini, carrots, bell pepper, and spinach/
Want more veggies? Great! Again, whether or not you include the rice, you can add 1-2 cups of almost any veggie here, but a few nice ones I’ve tried are carrots, zucchini, bell peppers, and spinach.
Watch that sodium. If possible, I recommend buying or making lower sodium options of several of the ingredients, as this can become too salty. Our grocery store sells house-made chicken or pork sausage that doesn’t contain any fillers, nitrates, or “extras.” I make my own stock and use low-sodium vegetable juice for this.
Like this recipe? You might also like…
- 8-12oz Italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 cups green cabbage, chopped or thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- (optional: 1-2 cups extra veggies such as diced zucchini, carrots, bell peppers, or baby spinach)
- ⅔ cup uncooked rice
- 1 (14oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (or regular diced tomatoes)
- 3 cups vegetable juice
- 4-5 cups broth (veggie or beef), plus more as needed.
- ¼ cup fresh basil, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- Heat a small drizzle of olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot.
- Add sausage and cook over medium heat until completely cooked through.
- Add onion (and extra veggies, if using). Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and saute over medium heat 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
- Add cabbage and garlic and cook 5-7 minutes more.
- Add uncooked rice, canned tomatoes, vegetable juice, and broth. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook 20-30 minutes, or until rice is cooked through and veggies are tender, adding more water or broth as desired.
- Stir in fresh basil and serve!