Oatmeal Cookie Granola – Smells like home, tastes like heaven, and comes together in no time.
Sophie asks me if she can mix something almost every day. And it always makes me happy when I can say “Yes! Go get your chair!” I start pulling ingredients out of the cupboard and pantry and refrigerator while her chair slowly scraaaaaaaapes across the tile. Armed with her favorite big metal bowl and pink spatula, she’ll happily mix whatever I put in front of her.
While she loves stirring chopped veggies together, or pushing buttons on the blender, Sophie’s favorite thing to make is granola. There’s lots of measuring and scooping and mixa-mixa-mixing. It’s almost impossible to mess up oatmeal cookie granola.
Granola is as simple as tossing everything in a big bowl and stirring your little heart out. It’s calming, comforting, and if you’re cooking with little ones, it’s a great recipe for little helpers. They can scoop and stir to their heart’s content. I like to measure the ingredients into a small bowl and let Sophie scoop them from the little bowl into the big one with a spoon or a small measuring cup.
I say that it smells like home, tastes like heaven, and comes together in no time. It really is the best description. It’s great eaten by the handful, or stirred into vanilla yogurt or topped with a little cold almond milk. I sometimes sneak a few chocolate chips into a handful to snack on. However you eat it, try not to eat it all in one sitting.
- 3½ cups oats (certified gluten free, as needed)
- 1½ cups sliced almonds
- 1½ cups shredded coconut (I like unsweetened)
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1-1½ cups raisins
- Combine oatmeal, almonds, coconut, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl and toss to combine. Spread mixture out onto a cookie sheet (I like to line mine with a silicone baking mat).
- Bake granola at 350 degrees 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Stir every 10 minutes to promote even browning.
- When you remove the granola from the oven, sprinkle raisins over the granola as it cools. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.