- 3/4c butter, cut into small pieces
- 3c flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4c buttermilk
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and combine with a pastry blender or two forks until very crumbly. The pieces should be no larger than peas. (Alternately, you can combine the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the pieces are no larger than peas.)
- *If desired, you can prepare the dough up to this point and refrigerate up to 1 day until ready to continue.
- Combine egg and buttermilk and pour into dry mixture. Stir with a fork until just combined. Flour the countertop and turn dough onto the counter. Pat out to about 3/4″ thickness. Slice into 12-16 squares or cut with a round biscuit cutter into 12-16 biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray or lined with parchment.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until tops are golden.