This easy one pan dinner comes together in a flash, but packs some serious flavor. A family-friendly dinner that’s easy enough to make any night of the week! (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 1 Tbsp. butter, ghee, or olive oil
- 1 (12oz) package kielbasa sausage, sliced (feel free to use beef, pork, or turkey sausage)
- 2 bell peppers, diced (I like using 2 different colors)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1–2 cups spinach, roughly torn or chopped
- 4 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth or veggie broth
- 1/2–1 tsp. Cajun seasoning (I usually use about 3/4 tsp.)
- 1/4 tsp salt (or, to taste)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2–3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Warm butter or oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced sausage and cook 8-10 minutes, or until browned and caramelized to your desired preference. Remove sausage from pan and set aside on a large clean plate/bowl.
- Add diced bell peppers to the same skillet and cook 4-5 minutes, or until crisp-tender. (Cook 1-2 minutes longer if you don’t want any bite at all.)
- Add sliced green onions, garlic, and spinach to the peppers. Cook 1-2 minutes longer on medium heat, until spinach is wilted and the garlic is fragrant. Remove vegetables and set aside.
- Add tomato paste, broth, 1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning and the salt to the pan and cook, whisking or stirring until the mixture is smooth. Cook the mixture 3-4 minutes, or until slightly thickened and smooth. Taste and add additional salt or Cajun seasoning, to taste. (You want it to be a bit strong-tasting, since the rice and veggies will dilute the flavor a bit.)
- Return cooked sausage and vegetables to the pan and add the cooked rice. Stir to coat with the sauce. Cook just 1-2 minutes longer to encourage the rice to absorb some of the liquid and allow the flavors to meld.
- Taste and add salt or pepper, to your liking. Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve warm.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sausage and rice, Cajun rice, sausage and rice skillet, Cajun sausage and rice, Cajun sausage and rice skillet