For the salad mixture:
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
For the add-ins:
- 1–2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1–2 cups mandarin oranges (I buy the 100% juice-packed ones)
- 1/4–1/2 cup toasted almonds
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup gluten free tamari (or coconut aminos or soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (seasoned or unseasoned) or cider vinegar for paleo
- 2–3 Tbsp olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Combine the salad mixture and toss until well blended.
- Whisk together salad dressing ingredients until well blended.
- If serving the whole salad immediately, stir in the salad add-ins (chicken, oranges, almonds) and enough dressing to coat the salad. Try not to add too much dressing at the beginning, as it breaks down the salad after a few minutes.
- Serve immediately or keep components separate and prepare just as much as you need. If stored separately, leftovers should keep 3-4 days in the refrigerator.