Ah… nothing says summer like grilling.
If only we had a grill.
We make do with an in-kitchen version that seems to work just fine in the meantime, but I’ve got to tell you…I dream of grilling season in the summer when we’re in a house someday.
I’ve been in LOVE with seafood lately, and, conveniently, shrimp has been on sale for several weeks at the market. So, we had these delicious skewers last week and will be having another shrimp dish tomorrow. I love my life.
What I love about these is that they are SO flavorful! I loved them. The marinade was quick and yet still had time to really penetrate the shrimp. The result was a fresh, light, flavorful skewer. We made a simple meal of shrimp skewers and pineapple since it was movie night and we’d be eating treats with our movie. I think next time, though, I’d love to make a tropical rice pilaf or salad to go with them.
**Notes on the recipe: If you’re nervous of heat, rinse your pepper under water to remove the adobo sauce. To store leftover chipotle peppers, scoop them out individually on a plate or pan covered with waxed paper and freeze 30-45 minutes or till no longer wet. Remove from plate and store in a zip-top plastic bag or airtight container. They’re all ready the next time you need one or two!
- 1lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 chipotle pepper (canned in adobo sauce), minced
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1Tbsp brown sugar
- ½tsp cumin
- ¼tsp salt
- Other: wooden/metal skewers
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lime zest and juice, chipotle pepper, cilantro, garlic, brown sugar, cumin, and salt. Add shrimp and stir to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30-60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so to coat.
- Thread shrimp onto skewers, discard marinade, and grill 2-3 minutes per side or till pink and opaque. Serve immediately.