- 1lb chuck roast, cut into 1–2” pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely minced (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2c chicken broth
- 1 (14.5oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1lb mushrooms, sliced
- 12oz pasta*
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or large saucepan. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper and brown over medium heat on all sides. Remove beef from pan to a side plate.
- Drain fat from pan. Add another drizzle of olive oil to the pan. ADd onion, carrots, garlic, rosemary, oregano, and a little salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until softened, 5-7 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook about 1 minute more.
- Return beef to the pan and add broth and tomatoes. Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 1/2hrs.
- Add the mushrooms to the saucepan and cook, covered, until tender 10-12 minutes. If the sauce is to thin, simmer, uncovered, until thickened to the desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, serve with sauce, and garnish with a little parmesan cheese.
*For gluten-free: serve over your favorite brown rice or quinoa pasta. Or, feel free to serve it over mashed potatoes or rice.