Cozy Curry Lentil Soup – This easy lentil soup recipe is perfect for cold weather and cozy days in. (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt (plus more, to taste)
- a pinch of cayenne pepper (1/16-1/8 tsp.)
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (13 oz.) can coconut milk
- 5 cups veggie broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 lbs. (about 2 cups) red lentils, sorted and rinsed*
- 5 oz. fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4–1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro (plus, additional for garnish, if desired)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- 1–2 Tbsp. additional coconut milk or plain yogurt (dairy or non-dairy as needed) for garnish.
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and carrots and cook 5-7 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, salt, and cayenne. Stir and cook 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, coconut milk, and veggie broth to the pot and stir to combine.
- If you haven’t already, sort and rinse your lentils,* then add them to your soup pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer the soup (stirring occasionally) about 20-25 minutes, stirring or until lentils are tender and the soup has thickened.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach and cilantro. The residual heat from the soup will wild the leaves within 1-2 minutes.
- Taste and add additional salt, as desired.
- Serve with lime wedges, a dollop of yogurt or a drizzle of coconut milk, and additional cilantro as desired.
*HOW TO SORT & RINSE LENTILS: Pour lentils into a fine mesh sieve and pick out any damaged, or discolored lentils and discard them. Then, rinse the lentils under water for about 1 minute before adding to your recipe.
**SOUP TOO THICK? Lentil soup continues to thicken as it cools and sits. Feel free to add a splash of water or broth to thin it out to your liking!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lentil soup, best lentil soup, lentil soup recipe, vegan lentil soup, curry lentil soup,