Crispy Smashed Potatoes – Crispy, salty, savory, MAGIC. These crispy seasoned smashed potatoes have it all! They’re perfect tasty appetizer or side dish. (Gluten free, vegan & whole30)
- 1 1/2 lbs (24oz) baby yellow (can sub baby red potatoes)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (or, to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (or, to taste)
Optional, to serve: 1-2 Tbsp fresh herbs, such as dill, cilantro, parsley, basil, or rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Use a brush or your fingers to brush a tiny bit of the olive oil over a baking sheet to grease it well.
- Wash potatoes well (don’t peel). Add them to a large saucepan and cover with water (the surface of the water should be about 1″ over the potatoes)
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and keep at a boil for 15-20 minutes (depending on the size of your potatoes), or until they can be pierced easily through with a knife.
- Drain potatoes. Spread out on a baking sheet. Use a large fork to smash each potato to about 1/2″ thickness. (They should be tender enough to smash easily).
- Try to arrange the potatoes on the baking sheet so they don’t touch. (More air circulation = crispier potatoes.) Depending on the size of your potatoes, you may need to use two baking sheets. If so, try to split the potatoes evenly among the sheets.
- When all the potatoes are smashed, brush the tops of the potatoes with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-30 minutes, or until the bottoms are crispy and the tops are turning golden. Don’t flip them during the cooking process. (If you’ve used two baking sheets, rotate them between the racks in the oven halfway through to promote even browning.)
- Top with fresh herbs or additional seasonings as desired!
- Category: Side dish, appetizer
- Method: Boiling, Roasting
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted potatoes, crispy potatoes, smashed potatoes, crispy smashed potatoes, gluten free, vegan, side dish, appetizer