Easy Mushroom Gravy – This simple mushroom gravy recipe works for vegetarian, paleo, and gluten-free diets! It’s amazing on mashed potatoes or spooned over your main dish. (Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-Free Options)
- 2 Tbsp. fat (pan drippings, butter, ghee, or olive oil)
- 4 oz. mushrooms, minced (about 1 1/2 cups minced)
- 2 Tbsp. minced shallot or onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. flour, gluten free flour, cornstarch, or arrowroot*
- 2 cups vegetable or beef broth
- 1–2 Tbsp. low-sodium gluten free tamari (or soy sauce, or coconut aminos)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. dried sage
- 1/8 tsp. dried rosemary
- In a medium saucepan or saute pan, melt fat over medium heat.
- Add minced mushrooms and onions. Cook 7-10 minutes over medium heat, stirring regularly, until mushrooms are browned and the onion is softened.
- Add garlic and sprinkle with flour, if using.* Cook 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Pour in broth, 1 Tbsp. tamari, salt, pepper, sage, and rosemary.
- Stir to combine and whisk or stir over medium-low heat until the gravy thickens. (This takes 5-10 minutes, depending on what thickener you use)
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired, adding more tamari or herbs as desired.
*IF USING CORNSTARCH OR ARROWROOT INSTEAD OF FLOUR:
- Follow steps 1 & 2. In step 3, add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir cornstarch or arrowroot into your broth and whisk well to combine before pouring into the pan. Continue with remaining steps as directed.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mushroom gravy, gluten free mushroom gravy, dairy free mushroom gravy, vegan mushroom gravy, paleo mushroom gravy, whole30 mushroom gravy