Egg Roll in a Bowl! This deconstructed egg roll makes a perfect quick-and-easy one pan dinner. (Gluten free, paleo & Whole30 friendly)
Served on its own, this will easily serve 4-5. Served as a component of the meal, it’ll stretch fo 5-6 servings.
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast (can sub ground turkey, pork, or beef)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 cl0ves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded (about 3/4c)
- 1 (14oz) bag coleslaw mix*
- 3 Tbsp low sodium gluten free tamari (or coconut aminos for paleo)**
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar (or cider vinegar for paleo)
- 1–2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add ground chicken breast to the pan and cook 5-7 minutes, or until completely cooked through. (There will likely be a bit of water at the bottom of the pan. Don’t drain it.)
- Next, add onion and cook an additional 4-5 minutes to soften slightly. It will begin to turn translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Then, add grated carrot and 1/2 of the coleslaw mix. (Your pan will seem SUPER full)
- Drizzle with tamari and rice vinegar. Gently stir to coat. Cook 2-3 minutes or until cabbage starts to wilt a bit.
- Add remaining coleslaw mix and stir to coat. Cook 2-3 minutes until the cabbage is starting to soften.
- Stir in sesame oil and green onions and serve.
CAN’T FIND COLESLAW MIX? No problem! Use 5 cups shredded green cabbage, 1 c shredded purple cabbage, and 1/2 cup additional shredded carrot.
PALEO & WHOLE30 NOTES – This egg roll bowl can easily be paleo & Whole30 compliant by using a few simple swaps. First, use coconut aminos in place of the gluten free tamari. Second, use apple cider vinegar in place of the rice vinegar. Easy-peasy!
- Category: Main Dish, Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian, American
Keywords: egg roll bowl, egg roll in a bowl, egg roll bowls, gluten free, paleo, whole30, whole30 dinner, paleo dinner, gluten free dinner, grain free, one pan dinner