1. Does this happen to every other mom in the universe when you try to take a picture with your child? It’s just pretty much always imperfect and pretty impossible. Oy. At least I have spring sandals to soothe my sadness. (These babies are from Target, scored on sale.)
2. No Fear. The other day we were at the park. I was helping Sophie with the teeter-totter and turned around to see Milo sitting proudly atop this. He’d scaled it! And he’s not looking back. #holyheartattackbatman #andyesthosearesophiessocks
3. I also love that they’re starting to play games together. Mostly those games are such childhood classics as “I poke you and run away” or “let’s play-fight over this chair until one of us stops thinking it’s funny and starts shouting,” but occasionally, it’s a game of the “let’s pretend dad is a scary monster and hide from him at the park” variety. And I like those times.
4. A kiss. This boy really believes a kiss will make him feel better when he’s hurt. It’s the BEST. He’s so squishy. I sneak in extra kisses any time I can. I’ve been trying to sort out his love language lately, and while I’m still figuring it out, I think a big part of it for him is quality time. He loves undivided attention, affection, and one-on-one time. As crusty as his grumpy moods are, he has the sweetest little disposition about so many things. It’s been a rough autism week at our house, and Milo has been so kind and patient while Sophie’s struggling. As she’s screaming, Milo is softly saying “I sorry you’re crying, Sophie” or “Sophie’s sad.” As soon as she calms down, he gently pats her and quietly whispers “I so proud of you.” MELTS ME.
5. Beautiful. I wish that all people could feel about themselves the way Sophie feels about herself in this moment. Any time she gets dressed or puts on dress-ups or her ballet outfit, she marches over to a mirror and softly says “I so beautiful.” I know there’s a great chance this awesome self-image will be crushed when she starts school in earnest, but man. I hope she stays this way as long as possible.
Happy weekend, dear reader!
Wishing you every good and beautiful thing!