Feeling’ hot hot hot! What a week full of sunshine, pool days (even though the water is still kind of cold!), and end-of-the-school-year craziness. Let’s get to Five Fact Friday!
1. So much time in the pool this week! We went for our inaugural swimming session last Saturday and other than Sunday, we’ve been in the water every day this week. Milo is turning into Mowgli, and Sophie is turning into a fish.
2. Little fish. Sophie was very adamant about wearing her floaties on Saturday, but after about 10 minutes in the water, she said “I’m ready to swim like a big girl” and asked us to take them off.
She’s been practicing and practicing every day we’ve been in the water, and I totally teared up this week at swim lessons watching her smile and wave after weeks of her crying and protesting. We still have plenty of work to do before she’s swimming safely and independently, but I tell you…watching this kind of progress just feels like a miracle. I so admire how brave and courageous and hard-working such a little person can be.
I also cannot get enough of Sophie in goggles.
3. Playing his cards right. Milo has played his cards very carefully this week. The instant before I’m going to stand up on a chair and start making irrational proclamations (like “that’s it! You’re not playing with another toy as long as you live!”) or do my best impression of Miss Hannigan (“That’s it! You’re going to scrub this place till it shines like the top of the Chrysler building!”), Milo has taken my face in his hands and said “Mom, I wuv you so much” or said “let’s smooch” or something else that turns me to goo.
4. Reading away. Sophie’s been working her way through the BOB books for the last few months. She’s got all her letter sounds down and can read most simple words with short vowels. I love watching her sound things out and the pride on her face when she finishes reading something by herself. Milo is her biggest fan. (“Sophie! YOU CAN READ THE WORDS! You’re a-credible!”)
We’re several sets of books in, and I can’t wait to see where she is in a few months when she starts kindergarten!
5. All I want this weekend is a nap! We’ve been go-go-going this week, whether that’s normal weekly errands, or off to pick something up for a school party, or off to the pool. Milo’s conked out once this week (after yet another 2 hour stint at the pool), and I wanted to much to crawl up onto the couch with him. So, I think that’s one of my goals. Napping is totally a goal, right?
The weekly newsletter goes out tonight around 6pm PST. If you haven’t already signed up, you can click here or fill out the form in my sidebar (under my profile picture). I’m talking about working through something I’ve been going through lately, sharing a peek at my nightstand, and more.