Five Fact Friday – The curse of The Death Cold is finally lifting, so we’re getting back to normal life around here. (Hooray!) Here are some bits and bites from the week.
1. These two. Sometimes I look at them together and wonder how their relationship is going to unfold. In some ways, they have a really unique relationship in the way siblings do when special needs are involved–Milo has, since he was an infant, been intuitively understanding when she needs more (attention, time, accommodations, patience, etc.) and has always shown unfailing adoration of and devotion to her.
In other ways, they’re totally typical siblings in the ways that Milo knows just how to delightedly push her buttons and Sophie doesn’t hesitate to act as his tiny mother (“slow down! Don’t do that, Buddy!”). I don’t know what it’s going to look like in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, but I hope it’s as wonderful as I dream it could be.
2. Cheese. My children do NOT cooperate for pictures. Even if Michael was a picture taker (#notaninstagramhusband), we still wouldn’t have dozens of pictures of us all looking sweet together. If I can capture it before they know I’m taking a picture, I can sometimes get something good, but often, when they know I’m snapping a photo, it goes a lot like this.
Instead, I totally rely on the “take a million and hope three turn out” philosophy when it comes to these two. There is ONE thing that is working for me right now and I thought it might work for some of you with the same challenge.
I say, “whatever you do, do NOT ______.” They get tiny smiles and crack up as I say, “Oh, no! I said DON’T _____.” (smile, frown, act sad, give each other a high five, etc.). Most of this sequence on the counter was captured with that tactic. (Though I still had about 100 that didn’t work out–ha!)
3. The Mermaid Scientist. When I ordered a “love is my favorite adventure” tee a few weeks ago, I tacked on this cute mermaid shirt for Sophie. When it arrived, I asked “do you like it?” “Yes!” she replied, “and I want another one that says ‘I’m a brave, smart girl who is a good scientist.'”
Anyone know where I can get a brave, smart, mermaid scientist shirt? I found this one that’s really beautiful and has a great story behind it. (On a scale of 1-10, how cheesy would it be for me to get a matching one?)
4. Outside, at last! We’ve been in that glorious in-between weather this week here, where the mornings have a serious bite, but by afternoon we’re in sandals and short sleeves. It’s meant lots of bike rides and park time, and the fresh air and sunshine have been exactly what we’ve needed after a few weeks cooped up with sickness.
I’ve been listening to podcasts when I can sneak them in (i.e. when the kids are playing happily on the playground and don’t want me hovering). I’m still totally digging Awesome with Alison and LOVED her “yes phase/no phase” episode.
5. Are you doing anything fun this weekend? I’ve been trying to come up with some fun exploring to do in our area, but we’re probably going to stick pretty close to home–we’ll be doing some grilling, hitting the park, and might see the Lego Batman movie (have you seen it? Will it be too scary for Sophie?)
P.S. The weekly newsletter goes out tonight around 6pm MST. I’m sharing a super easy happiness booster, some weekly faves, and more!