1. O-baby. Milo’s speech just cracks me up. Besides being FULL VOLUME ALL THE TIME, he’s got a few fun speech quirks. For instance, he often uses a hard O sound. Like he’s got to get his “sohks own” (socks on). Or something is “reewy hote” (really hot).
Also, if helmet-hair and red sneakers aren’t the cutest thing, I don’t know what is.
2. The Hidden Smile. Sometimes when I look at Sophie, I’m reminded of the line from Peter Pan that talks about the “hidden kiss” that Mrs. Darling has:
“her sweet mocking mouth had one kiss on it that Wendy could never get, though there it was, perfectly conspicuous in the right-hand corner.”
I see it sparkling right there in the corners of her mouth and somewhere in her eyes. It’s there with her biggest smile, which, when she shows it, fills me up inside and gives me a jolt of happy surprise.
3. Ho Hum. Milo comes from a long and storied stock of hummers, whistlers, and singers. It’s no wonder then that Milo should be an excellent tune-maker-upper. And, boy howdy, does this boy hum and sing and “do-do-do” all day long. All. The. Time.
4. Faerie eggs. After our big stint of drawing silly monsters, Sophie’s moved on to a new task. She was drawing these little blobs on her paper. I asked what she was doing, and she matter-of-factly said that she was drawing faerie eggs. I don’t know when or where she heard about such a thing, but she’s convinced, and we have several dozen drawings of them to prove it.
5. Nature. We’ve tried a few nature programs recently. Both kids are fascinated by animals, and we were pretty sure that real video of real animals would be well received. It’s proved surprisingly hard to find one that’s not too violent, graphic, or full of mating scenes, but we’ve had some luck with BBC’s Life and PBS’s Frogs. We’ve also seen Earth and Oceans by Disney. Does anyone have any other favorites we should try?
Side note: we usually don’t sit RIGHT next to the screen while something’s on. They set up a little coloring station before requesting to watch something, and I went with it.
I was DELIGHTED to be featured at Primal Palate this week in their Paleo Super Bowl Recipes roundup, featuring my Chile Colorado Sweet Potatoes recipe. I *love* Primal Palate, so I’m not ashamed to admit I jumped up and down a bit at being included. The other recipes look delicious!