Five Fact Friday – A Lovely Love Day, Livin’ La Vida Backyard, and more in this week’s update. Happy weekend, friends!
1. A Lovely Love Day. I’ve always been a bit “meh” about Valentine’s Day, but I think it’s going to be one I put more effort into next year! Sophie was literally jumping for joy several times throughout the day. We FINALLY pulled out her second top tooth (which has been ready since OCTOBER) the night before Valentine’s Day, and so basically all her dreams came true. The Tooth Fairy visited, Michael and I set out some Valentine’s decorations for the special day, she had a class party (where she got to pass out unicorn valentines and eat a dairy free ice cream sundae), went to art class, and ate a fun family dinner together (#1 of my 5 favorite menus for date night in). “Mom, it was just the BEST Valentine’s Day ever!”
2. Rain, glorious rain. Rain is rare here in the desert, and when it comes around, I immediately get the urge to hunker down, light a candle, pull out a cozy blanket, and make soup or my favorite hot chocolate. We got some surprise rain on Valentine’s Day this week, and both kids were in heaven. We twirled umbrellas, made good on that hot chocolate craving, and felt extra grateful for a fresh stack of library books.
3. Livin’ La Vida Backyard. Milo is still living his best life having a finished backyard. He and Sophie go out to play as often as possible, and he’s been making good use of the little set of traffic cones I got him for his birthday last month. He builds car tracks, sets up obstacle courses, and we make soccer goals while we kick around the ball. Between those cones and the little toss-and-catch game we got, we’ve been spending LOTS of time outside lately!
4. Queen of the Capsule. Sophie’s outfits have made me smile SO MUCH lately. I try to pick my battles as a mom (“no you may not wear your swimsuit to church”), so most of what Sophie wears is up to her. Thankfully, most of it goes together (thank you kids’ capsule wardrobe), but she’s been really making me smile with the combinations she’s been coming up with lately. With Valentine’s Day on the horizon, she’s been stacking ALL THE PINK things or ALL THE PATTERNS together. I’ll be curious to see how the next few weeks go, now that Pink Day/Valentine’s Day is over, but I have a feeling those outfits will keep making me smile for a while.
5. These are the Days. I’ve had this phrase as a note up that I can see every day. It’s SO easy for me to get caught up in the crazy of life instead of slowing down enough to remember THESE are the days. These are the good old days. The days I’ll be remembering the rest of my life. The chance I have to enjoy the mis-matched outfits, and the unnecessary blue gloves on a rainy day, and the way Milo says “ear muffins” instead of “ear muffs,” and the way everyone still wants me to stay just a few extra minutes at bedtime. It’s helped me keep my eyes open and watching for the moments to remember. And, guys, there’s so much magic when I’m looking for it.
Happy weekend, dear reader!
Wishing you every good thing!