This easy homemade gluten-free chicken soup recipe is full of flavor, made from simple ingredients & tastes so cozy!
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1.5 cups)
- 2–3 carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2–3 stalks celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2–3 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken (about 12 oz.)
- 6 cups chicken broth (I prefer chicken bone broth)
- 1–2 dry bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups (4 oz.) dry gluten-free pasta noodles (I recommend brown rice spirals or brown rice spaghetti)*
- 1–2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill, minced (optional)
- Start A Pot Of Water For The Pasta. Fill a small pot with water and start bringing it to a boil to cook the pasta while you start the soup.
- Cook The Veggies. Add butter or olive oil and the onion, celery, and carrots to a Dutch oven or large soup pot. Cook 5-7 minutes over medium heat, until the veggies are mostly softened.
- Add Garlic & Seasonings. Then, add the garlic cloves, salt and pepper and cook 1 minute more, till fragrant.
- Add Chicken & Broth. Next, add the chicken to the pot and pour in the broth. Stir to combine, then tuck the bay leaf into the soup.
- Simmer. Bring the soup to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the soup 15-30 minutes while you cook the pasta. (The flavor will develop more the longer you simmer, but 15 minutes will be enough to cook the veggies.)
- Cook The Pasta. To avoid over-cooking the noodles, cook the pasta in the pot of boiling water, according to package directions. I usually under-cook the noodles by 1-2 minutes, since they will continue to soften in the hot soup.
- Finish The Soup. Drain the pasta noodles and add to the soup pot, along with some fresh herbs. Remove the bay leaves. Taste and season the soup with salt, pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice, or more herbs, as desired.
- Serve & Store. Ladle into bowls and enjoy warm. Leftover gluten-free chicken noodle soup will keep 3-4 days in the fridge.
Prefer more herbs?
- Add 1/2-3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary (or 1/2-3/4 Tbsp. fresh), 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1–1 1/2 tsp. fresh), and 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried ground/rubbed sage
Need To Cook Chicken For This Soup?
- Make the soup as directed until you add the broth. When the soup comes to a boil, add 12 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook at a low simmer 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the pot, shred or dice, then return to the soup.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free chicken noodle soup, gluten-free chicken soup, gluten-free chicken noodle soup recipe