This gluten free rosemary focaccia is made entirely gluten free and vegan-friendly! It’s easier than you think and has the perfect crispy crust and tender, light center. Yum!
For Gluten Free Focaccia:
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free 1:1 flour, such as King Arthur Flour Measure-for Measure or Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) instant or rapid rise yeast
- 1 Tbsp honey (or agave, or sugar)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1–2 Tbsp vegan parmesan or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt (like Maldon)
- 1/4 pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Warm your water in the microwave or on the stovetop until it’s warm but not hot. (Ideally, the temperature should be between 120-130 degrees F, but you can use the touch test to tell if it’s ok. If the water is too warm to put your finger in comfortably for several seconds, it’s too hot)
- Add yeast, honey, salt, and 2 Tbsp olive oil to the warm water. Stir to combine, then let it bloom by setting it aside to rest for for 3-5 minutes. (It’ll start to look foamy on top)
- Pour the water/yeast mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Note that the dough will actually be more like batter than dough. You will not knead it.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel and set it to rise in a warm place for at least 30 minutes if using rapid rise yeast and about an hour if you use regular yeast. The batter/dough will be roughly double in size.
- During the last few minutes of the rise time, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle with remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Pour the batter out onto the prepared baking sheet and gently press out using your fingers or the back of a spatula into a rectangle shape about 3/4 of an inch thick.
- Use your finger to poke several holes in the dough all the way to the bottom of the pan to form the characteristic “dimples” of focaccia.**
- Sprinkle the surface of the dough with fresh rosemary, vegan parmesan (if using), coarse sea salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool at least 10-12 minutes before slicing and eating.
**FOR MORE DEFINED DIMPLES, remove focaccia from oven after about 5 minutes of bake time and use the back of a small measuring spoon to reinforce the dimples before returning to the oven.
FOR A YUMMY DIPPING SAUCE: Pour 1/3 cup olive oil over granulated garlic, coarse salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and rosemary, oregano, and/or basil. I usually use 1/4 tsp dried flaked garlic, 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, 1/4 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp coarse salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Category: Side dish, bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian American, Mediterranean
Keywords: gluten free focaccia, gluten free rosemary focaccia, gluten free bread