Today, Michael turns 25! We’ve been celebrating the birthday in bits and pieces (not knowing when our baby will come)–going out to lunch here, having a birthday dinner at home there, opening half of the birthday presents on this day, opening the other half today… you get the idea. Michael couldn’t really care less, but mostly, my heart just broke at the idea of his birthday getting swallowed up by babygirl’s birthday. Although the birth of our first baby is going to change our lives forever and is the biggest blessing we’ll have experienced, my relationship with Michael will always come first.
So. To celebrate my favorite person on earth, here are 10 things you may or may not know about Michael.
1. I often call Michael “sir,” as in “hey, sir, have you seen my glasses?” or “I love you, sir.” I don’t know where this came from, but he likes it much better than shmoopsie-poo, so we roll with it.
2. Michael can open anything. We also refer to him as vicegrip.
3. Michael never complains about going shopping with me. One of my favorite things to do is go to fancy food stores or places like Crate & Barrel or Williams-Sonoma and walk around with him. He never. ever. complains.
4. Boyfriend loves food as much as I do. He’s never at a loss for ideas for dinner or treats. It really helps in the meal-planning department.
5. He’s not a very picky eater. He doesn’t like squishy things (i.e. mushrooms, zucchini, artichoke hearts), but that’s about it. He’ll eat almost anything once, bless him.
6. Michael can make a game out of anything. He’s a favorite with our little cousins and nieces and nephews. I can’t WAIT to watch him playing with our little babies soon.
7. He puts his hand on the small of my back when we walk places. I swoon every time. Love. It.
8. Three words: mad Excel skills. For a girl who lives and dies for visual organization, I love that Michael has mad skills in this department. Our budget sheets look like a dream when he does them.
9. Michael does all the jobs around the house that I hate–vacuuming, taking out the trash–and doesn’t complain ever. I couldn’t be happier about it.
10. I’ll never get enough of watching movies snuggled on the couch with him or cuddled up just on his side of the bed while we read books.
Well, that’s probably embarrassing enough for him, but I feel like I’m married to the perfect person for me. He balances out lots of my quirks (and I’m very quirky), helps me to learn new things, and brings out a desire to do and be better. I don’t know what I’d do without him. He’s the butter to my bread.
Happy birthday, dear Michael!