- 2c ketchup*
- 1c water
- 1/3c-1/2c vinegar (use either white or apple cider)
- 1/2c brown sugar (0r more, to taste)
- 1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce*
- 1/2 Tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 Tbsp mustard powder
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4tsp liquid smoke (optional)*
- 2 tsp paprika
- dash of cayenne (optional)
- In a large saucepan with a lid, stir all ingredients together. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 50 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally (I stirred it about every 8-10 minutes) or till thickened and darkened.
- You probably want to test it about halfway through the cook time to see if you need more sugar, more vinegar, more pepper, etc.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Makes: about 2 1/2 cups
*Gluten Free, Dairy Free notes: Be sure to choose gluten free condiments. I go with Lea Perrins Worcestershire sauce, and Annie’s Organic ketchup