Homemade Teriyaki Sauce – This gluten-free teriyaki sauce comes together in a snap and tastes great on stir-fry, salmon, chicken, noodle bowls & more. (Gluten-Free, Paleo-friendly!
- 1/3 cup low-sodium gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos (or soy sauce if not GF)
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4–1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch (or arrowroot, for paleo) + 1 1/2 Tbsp. water
- Optional: 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds
To Make Teriyaki Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, combine tamari, water, syrup, vinegar, ginger, garlic, 1/4 tsp. pepper and sesame oil. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1 1/2 Tbsp. water. Pour this slurry into the pan with the teriyaki sauce ingredients.
- Stir, cooking over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Stir 1-2 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. Stir in sesame seeds, if using.
- Remove sauce from heat and enjoy! Pour over stir-fried veggies, brush onto chicken or salmon, or stir into rice.
- Note: Sauce will thicken significantly when refrigerated, so you’ll want to reheat it on the stove or in the microwave to loosen it up before using any leftovers. Teriyaki sauce will keep 1 week in the refrigerator.
If you’re going to use this sauce in a stir-fry:
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl (including cornstarch/water slurry).
- Stir-fry your meat/veggies as you usually would. During the last 2-3 minutes of cooking, pour teriyaki sauce over stir-fried veggies/meat and cook over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Teriyaki Sauce, Homemade teriyaki sauce, gluten-free teriyaki sauce, healthy teriyaki sauce, paleo teriyaki sauce