Easy Instant Pot Black Beans – These pressure cooker black beans don’t require any soaking! I’ll show you my easy method + lots ways to flavor them. (Gluten-Free, Vegan Option)
(PS – This method works for several other kinds of dried beans too! Pinto, kidney beans, and Great Northern beans all cook the same amount of time!)
- 1 lb. dry black beans (rinsed + sorted)
- 1/2 onion* (I leave mine whole rather than dicing
- 1–2 cloves garlic* (optional)
- 1 bay leaf*
- 1–2 tsp. salt (more or less, to taste)
- 6 cups water or low-sodium/no-sodium vegetable broth.
*Note: you *can* make black beans with JUST beans + water/broth + salt. I like adding the other ingredients for flavor. Use what you have or like!
**See notes for more flavoring options!
- Rinse your dry black beans in a colander or strainer. Sort out any damaged beans, rocks, etc. and discard them.
- Add rinsed & sorted beans to the Instant Pot.
- Add onion, garlic, bay leaf, and 1 tsp. salt
- Cover with water or broth.
- Secure the lid and double-check that the pressure valve is set to SEALING (not “venting”).
- Press MANUAL/HIGH PRESSURE and set beans to cook for 30 minutes. (It takes my instant pot about 10-12 minutes to come up to pressure.)
- When the beans are finished cooking for 30 minutes, naturally release the steam 20 minutes.
- Quick-release any remaining steam by carefully moving the sealing valve from “sealing” to “venting” (I like to wear oven mitts when I do this, just in case)
- Remove bay leaf & onion (if using) and season the beans to taste with salt.
BASIC DRIED BLACK BEANS: 1 pound dry black beans (2 cups) + 1/2 onion (I cut mine into 2 large pieces) + 1-2 tsp. salt + 1 bay leaf + 6 cups water or sodium-free vegetable broth
CUBAN BLACK BEANS: 1 pound dry black beans (2 cups) + 1/2 onion (cut into 2 large pieces) + 1 tsp. salt + 1 tsp. cumin + 1 tsp. chili powder + 6 cups water or vegetable broth + juice of 1 lime or 2 tsp. vinegar
BRAZILIAN BLACK BEANS: Dice & cook 2-3 slices bacon in the Instant Pot using the SAUTE function. Add 1 diced onion and saute until tender. Then, add 1 pound black beans (2 cups) + 3-4 cloves minced garlic + 6 cups water or vegetable broth + 2-3 tsp. salt. Cook as usual.
OTHER MIX-IN IDEAS: taco seasoning, green chilis, minced jalapeño, diced bell pepper, etc. (pick just 1-2)
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: Instant Pot Black Beans, Pressure Cooker Black Beans, Instant Pot Brazilian Black Beans, Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans