- 1/2c butter
- 1c sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice, divided (about 2 lemons)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2c flour
- 1c lemon drop candies, crushed (some bigger pieces, some smaller)
- 1–2c powdered sugar, divided
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest with your fingers or a spatula until well combined (this gets the oils from the lemon zest into the sugar). Cream sugar mixture with butter. Add in egg, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, and vanilla. Stir until well-combined. Add in salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add in flour and lemon drops. Stir until just combined.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator about 30 minutes.
- Place 1/2c powdered sugar in a shallow bowl. Form cookies by rolling heaping teaspoon-fuls of dough into balls and rolling in powdered sugar.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake at 350 degrees for 9-10 minutes, or until edges are set and centers are still ever-so-slightly soft. Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheets about 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- When cookies are cooled, make glaze by combining remaining lemon juice with enough powdered sugar to make a pourable glaze (I used just over a cup of powdered sugar. You can add more or less if you want it thinner/thicker).
- Makes 24-30 cookies.