- 4 corn tortillas*
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 9 eggs
- 1/4c milk (I used skim)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil or butter
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, large diced
- 1 green bell pepper, large diced
- 1 red onion, large diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Monterrey Jack cheese, grated (I used between 1/4-1/3c)
- cilantro, chopped
- black beans (canned or dry beans that have been cooked)
- Heat canola oil in a small pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tortilla and cook a few minutes (2-3) on each side to crisp it. Set on paper towels to cool and repeat with remaining tortillas. Discard remaining oil and let tortillas cool. Chop into large pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until well combined. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add butter or olive oil to large pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion and cook until browned around the edges and softened. Add jalapeno and tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add egg mixture and stir slowly, as you would making scrambled eggs. When eggs are cooked through, remove from heat. Stir in tortilla pieces, and garnish with cheese and cilantro. Serve with black beans.
*For gluten-free: be sure your tortillas are, in fact, gluten free. I like Tortilla Land brand.