These amounts can be easily doubled (or tripled) if you’re making the salad for a party, shower, or group get-together.
For each cup of chicken:
- 1c cooked, shredded chicken
- 1–2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/3–1/2c grapes, sliced in half
- 2–4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice (optional–I only use it if I have it on hand)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2–3 Tbsp cashews
- In a medium bowl, toss chicken with celery, grapes, 2 Tbsp mayonnaise, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add more mayonnaise if desired. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired. Right before serving, sprinkle with cashews.
- Tip: If not serving all at once, top individual sandwich servings with cashews right before you eat them. If you stir the cashews into the mixture, they will soften.
1. Try substituting apples and/or craisins for the grapes
2. Use pecans or toasted almonds instead of cashews
3. Stir in a pinch of curry powder or fresh herbs into the chicken mixture
4. Try serving the salad on rosemary bread, sourdough, or a croissant. Gluten free bread is also an option.
5. For a bread-less version, serve on a bed of spring greens or a leaf of crisp lettuce
**Gluten free/Dairy free notes: not all brands of mayo are gluten/dairy free, but many are. I like Kraft brand olive oil mayo. Best Foods, Earth Balance, and Hellman’s all make gluten and dairy free versions as well.