- 3c crisp rice cereal (use 3 1/2c if omitting peanuts)*
- 3/4c salted or honey-roasted peanuts (optional)
- 3/4c sugar
- 3/4c corn syrup
- 3/4c peanut butter
- 1–1 1/2c chocolate chips*
- In a large bowl, combine cereal and peanuts, if using. Set aside. Butter or spray a 9×13″ baking dish well.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. When the mixture comes to a full boil, remove from the heat. Stir in peanut butter to melt.
- Pour mixture over cereal/peanuts and stir to coat very well. Pour into baking dish and spread evenly. If you need to, feel free to use your hands for this part (you may want to get your fingertips damp).
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and allow to melt. If you find they aren’t melting, you can put the baking dish in the oven on its lowest setting for 2-3 minutes. When chocolate chips are glossy and ready to spread, use a fork or spatula to spread the chocolate over the cereal mixture. (I like using a fork to make swirl designs)
- Allow to cool and slice into bars or cut into shapes using a cookie cutter.
*Gluten and Dairy Free Notes:
Your crisp rice cereal MUST say “gluten free”. We like Erewhon brand, but Rice Krispies also makes a gluten free version (again, the package MUST say gluten free).
These can be dairy free if you use dairy free chocolate chips. Trader Joe’s semi-sweet chips are a good choice, or Enjoy Life brand are great too.