- 3 red bell peppers
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4c cream, or half-and-half
- 1/4c fresh basil, minced
- 1/2 lb. small pasta, such as rotini, fusilli, or gemelli (gluten free, if necessary)
- fresh parmesan, to taste
- Cook pasta, according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, on a gas burner or in the broiler (I used the broiler), roast peppers until they are charred well on the outside. Be sure to rotate peppers often, so that they blacken evenly. Remove peppers from burner or broiler and place in a paper or plastic bag to steam for about 10 minutes to loosen the skins.
- Scrape off charred skin, remove stems, and scrape out seeds. Puree peppers in a blender or food processor until smooth, almost like a pesto.
- In a medium saucepan, saute onion in a drizzle of olive oil until tender and translucent. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in red pepper puree, cream, and basil until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss pasta with sauce and stir to coat. Top with parmesan to taste.