I don’t dice up my chicken here, since I like to shred it right into the soup. You can dice it if you like, but know that it’ll cook a little quicker.
PS – See the notes for Instant Pot instructions!
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 1 (28oz) can (or two 14oz cans) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (14oz) can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or you could use chicken broth/bone broth)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped, plus more to serve
- Place chicken, tomatoes, pumpkin, onion, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt and broth in the slow cooker and stir to combine. (You don’t want a big lump of pumpkin to burn on the bottom of the slow cooker.)
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Shred the chicken into the soup (I use two forks to pull it apart and shred it) and serve with extra cilantro to garnish.
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS:
DUMP-AND-GO METHOD: Add all ingredients to your Instant Pot and stir to combine. Cover, making sure valve is turned to SEALED setting. Cook on MANUAL pressure for 15 minutes. Quick release steam by carefully turning valve to VENT setting (or simply naturally release steam), then shred the chicken and return to soup. Garnish with additional cilantro.
SAUTE METHOD. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to your Instant Pot and press SAUTE. Add onion and saute 4-5 minutes, or until onion is tender. Press CANCEL and add all other remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine. Make sure valve is sealed, then cook on MANUAL for 15 minutes. Quick-release steam or naturally release steam, before shredding chicken and returning to soup. Garnish with additional cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-4 Hours
- Category: Soup,
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American, Tex-Mex
Keywords: Taco soup, slow cooker taco soup, paleo taco soup, gluten free taco soup, pumpkin soup, pumpkin taco soup, slow cooker pumpkin taco soup, crock pot pumpkin taco soup