- 3/4lb small pasta (penne or bowties/farfalle)
- 1lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2c half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 1/3c lightly packed chopped basil
- parmesan cheese for garnish, if desired
- Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente (with a small bite). Drain, reserving 1/2c pasta water.
- In a large skillet, cook shrimp with 1 Tbsp butter over medium heat until just opaque and pink, 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. If the shrimp you used was large, chop it into bite-sized pieces. In same pan, melt remaining Tbsp butter with olive oil and cook onions until translucent and tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more until fragrant.
- Return shrimp to pan. Add tomato sauce and half and half. Toss sauce with cooked pasta and thin sauce with pasta water as desired to coat (I don’t like it too thick). Salt and pepper to taste. Stir in chopped basil and serve with parmesan cheese as desired.