Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken – This tender crockpot barbecue chicken makes for delicious sandwiches, salads, pizzas & more! (Paleo-Friendly)
FOR THE BARBECUE CHICKEN:
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 1/2 onion, finely diced or grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups your favorite barbecue sauce
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
OPTIONAL EXTRAS FOR SERVING:
- Snipped chives, sliced green onion, minced cilantro or parsley, finely minced red onion, pickles, pickled banana peppers, etc.
FOR THE BBQ CHICKEN:
- Place chicken in the crock of a slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, and cider vinegar.
- Smooth with a spatula to cover the chicken evenly.
- Slow cook on HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8 hours, or until tender.
- Shred chicken with two forks and toss with the barbecue sauce to coat.
- Taste the chicken and adjust seasonings, if needed (see notes below)
TASTE & ADJUST. Slow cooking your chicken in barbecue sauce can dilute the flavor of the sauce slightly (depending on what sauce you use). The addition of onion, garlic, and cider vinegar really help with this, but you’ll definitely want to taste it after shredding it to be sure you don’t need to adjust the seasonings. If your sauce is tasting a bit flat, add a little more vinegar, some black pepper, a bit of salt, or a little brown sugar or pure maple syrup to help wake it back up.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-4 hours
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Amercan