Everything you love about tamales without all the work!
For the Beef:
- 2 – 2 1/2 lbs beef roast
- 1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4–1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- !For the Polenta:
- 6 cups water
- 2 cup polenta
- 3–4 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- diced tomatoes
- (you could also go with cheese or sour cream)
For the beef:
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook to brown 5-7 minutes on each side. Transfer to the crock of your slow cooker.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the skillet/Dutch oven that you browned the beef in and stir to scrape up any browned bits. Stir in your tomato sauce, chili powder, and chipotle chili powder. Taste and add additional chipotle pepper as desired.
- Pour sauce over beef and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours, or until beef shreds easily with a fork. Shred beef and stir to coat with the sauce.
For the polenta:
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in polenta and a pinch of salt. Turn down the heat to low and stir constantly for about 3-4 minutes. Cover the pan and let rest another 5 minutes. (Polenta will soften and absorb more liquid during this time). Stir in butter/oil and additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Build a bowl! Build a base of polenta, then scoop warm beef on top and top with your favorite toppings!