This cozy crock pot ham bean soup is the perfect way to use up leftover ham from the holidays!
- 1 lb. dried Great Northern Beans
- 1 ham bone (2–4 lbs.) or 2-3 cups diced ham
- 1 onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 3–4 carrots)
- 1 cup diced celery (2–3 stalks celery)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (or 1/2 Tablespoon fresh rosemary)
- 1-s bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken bone broth (or low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (more, or less, to taste)
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In Advance, Soak The Beans. For the best results, soak the beans in advance. Sort through the dry beans and remove any that are shriveled, broken, or irregularly colored. Rinse the beans in a colander, then transfer to a large bowl. Cover the beans completely with several inches of water. Refrigerate in the bowl for 4-12 hours or so (I leave mine overnight). Then, drain and rinse them, and they’re ready to use!
- Add Ingredients To The Slow Cooker. Add the ham bone to the crock of your slow cooker. If you haven’t already, drain the beans and add them to the slow cooker, along with onion, carrots, and celery. Add garlic, dried rosemary, and bay leaf. Cover with bone broth and gently stir to combine.
- Cover & Cook. Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on HIGH for about 4-5 hours for a more broth-y soup or 6-8 hours for a creamier/thicker soup (the beans will be tender after 4-5 hours if you’ve soaked them beforehand, but the longer it cooks, the creamier the soup gets). If you haven’t soaked your beans or they’re old, they may require more time.
- Taste & Adjust. When the soup is done cooking, remove the bay leaf. Shred or dice the ham from the ham bone and return to the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh parsley. (If the soup needs a little something, add 1 teaspoon cider vinegar)
- Serve & Store. Scoop into bowls and serve warm. Feel free to freeze leftovers for another day–this soup will keep in an airtight container or freezer bag in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker ham bean soup, slow cooker ham and bean soup, crockpot ham and bean soup, crock pot ham and bean soup,