- 4c warm water
- 1/4c honey
- 1/4c sugar (you can use all honey or all sugar, if you like)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
- 1/3c canola oil
- 5tsp salt
- 8 or more cups flour (I used 6c wheat flour, 2+ cups bread flour)
- Dissolve honey, sugar, and yeast in warm water. Let this mixture sit 3-4 minutes, until bubbles form at the top and everything is dissolved. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer (fitted with a dough hook). Add canola oil, salt, and 4c flour. Mix 2-3 minutes.
- Add 4c flour, and mix until dough pulls away from the sides and is cohesive. Flour a large work surface and pour out dough. Knead with hands until dough is elastic and a large ball. Place in a large bowl that has been greased or sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with a damp towel or piece of plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 40-60 minutes.
- Turn out dough and divide into 3 for large loaves, 4 for smaller loaves. Shape each section of dough into a loaf and place in a loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-40 minutes or until tops are golden brown and loaves sound hollow when you tap the tops or test with a toothpick.
- Allow loaves to cool 2 minutes in pan and then turn out loaves to cool completely. Wrap any loaves not being used immediately securely with plastic wrap and place in zip-top bags in the freezer.
- Makes 3-4 loaves.