- 3–4 strips of bacon, diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1c orzo
- 2–3c chicken broth or stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2c frozen peas (don’t thaw)
- 1/4c milk (you can use something thicker if desired)
- about 1/2c parmesan cheese (more or less to taste)
- In a large saucepan, cook diced bacon until crisp. Set aside bacon and drain fat from the pan, but leave any drippings. Add onion to pan and stir well to coat, cooking over medium heat till tender. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more. Stir in orzo to coat well. Add 1c chicken broth and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. When broth is almost entirely absorbed, stir in an additional 1/2c. When broth is almost entirely absorbed, check orzo for done-ness. If it still has some bite, stir in a bit more chicken broth.
- When orzo is tender, and broth is almost entirely absorbed, stir in bacon, peas, parmesan, and milk. Stir until mixture comes together. Season to taste and top with additional parmesan if desired.