Vegan Rice Pudding – This dairy-free rice pudding recipe might be simple, but it’s always special. Don’t miss all the yummy ways to flavor it below! (Gluten-free, Dairy-Free, Vegan)
- 1 cup Arborio rice, rinsed in a sieve until the water runs clear
- 3 1/2–4 cups dairy free milk (I like 1 cup coconut milk + 2–3 cups almond milk)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla (or, seeds from a vanilla bean)
- Optional: 1 tsp. cornstarch + 1 Tbsp. water or milk.
- If you haven’t already, rinse your rice in a fine-mesh sieve until the water runs clear.
- Add rinsed rice to a medium saucepan.
- Pour in 3 cups milk (I like 1 cup of full-fat coconut milk + 2 cups almond milk), maple syrup, cinnamon (if using), and salt.
- Stir to combine, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring regularly for 20-30 minutes, until much of the liquid is absorbed, and the rice is mostly tender. (The rice should only have a tiny bit of bite, if any.)
- You want the pudding to still have some liquid, so if yours is mostly absorbed, add another 1/2 cup milk at a time and stir in.
- Optional step: For thicker rice pudding, combine 1 tsp. cornstarch with 1 Tbsp. water or milk and whisk to combine. Pour into the rice pudding and stir for 1-2 minutes, while it thickens a bit. (Again, feel free to add more milk, if you like).
- When the rice is done cooking, stir in the vanilla.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings, or cover and chill in the refrigerator and serve cold.
Note: rice will continue to absorb liquid as it sits and cooks, so feel free to add more milk, as desired to get the texture you like.
IDEAS FOR TOPPINGS:
- RAISINS. Add 1/4-1/2 cup raisins in the last few minutes of cooking.
- SAUTEÉD CINNAMON APPLES on top
- CANNOLI-STYLE. Adding a little orange zest + chocolate chips + pistachios
- VEGAN CARAMEL. Swirl in or drizzle on a little bit of your favorite vegan caramel sauce.
- FRESH BERRIES. Add a few of whatever berries look great at the market!
- BERRY COMPOTE. Cook 2 cups of fresh or frozen mixed berries with a drizzle of syrup or sugar and 1/4 tsp. cornstarch until it’s thick and bubbly.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan rice pudding, rice pudding, easy rice pudding, rice pudding recipe, dairy free rice pudding