Almond Flour Banana Cake – This easy paleo banana cake with chocolate ganache is the perfect way to use up overripe bananas! Gluten free, paleo friendly and totally delicious.
FOR THE GLUTEN-FREE BANANA CAKE:
- 3 medium ripe bananas (or 2 large)
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot (can sub cornstarch)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
FOR THE BANANA CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8″ or 9×9″ baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a food processor or blender combine bananas, eggs, syrup, vanilla, and almond extract. Blend until smooth (you want the bananas very smooth for this cake).
- Scrape down the sides of the food processor and add the dry ingredients–almond flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Pulse until just combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the food processor again, then pour the batter into your prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30-35 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs.
- Let the cake cool completely before adding the chocolate ganache. (You can put it in the refrigerator to speed up this process, if desired.)
TO MAKE THE GANACHE:
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and milk. Microwave the chocolate in 20-30 second increments, stopping to stir the chocolate thoroughly between increments, until the ganache is completely smooth. (This will likely only take you 2-3 increments. Don’t let it burn!)
- Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate and milk together over low heat in a saucepan on the stove.
- Pour the ganache over your cooled banana cake and use a spatula (an offset icing spatula works best) to spread the chocolate ganache evenly over the cake.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator to allow the ganache to set.
- Slice the cake into 12-16 slices and enjoy!
Turn them into cupcakes! This recipe can also be made into cupcakes. Just divide the batter into 12 muffin cups (I love this nonstick muffin pan that doesn’t even need liners), and bake for 17-20 minutes or so instead of the 30-35 minutes an 8×8 cake requires.
Paleo friends – For strictly paleo folks, you’ll need to use paleo-approved/grain-free baking powder. You can make your own out of baking soda, cream of tartar, and arrowroot.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana cake, almond flour, paleo banana cake, gluten free banana cake, almond flour banana cake, almond flour cake, chocolate ganache