Almond Flour Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins – These gluten-free lemon poppy seed muffins have a light, fluffy texture and are BURSTING with lemon flavor. They’re the perfect yummy breakfast or snack!
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1/3 cup milk* (I use unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract (optional)
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (finely ground)
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch or arrowroot*
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
Optional: 2-3 tsp. turbinado sugar for decoration.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin pan or line with parchment muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Stir together lemon zest, lemon juice, milk, syrup, oil, eggs, vanilla, and lemon extract (if using). Whisk until smooth.
- Next, add the dry ingredients. Add almond flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds to the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Scoop or spoon batter into prepared muffin pan.
- If desired, sprinkle the tops of the muffins with turbinado sugar.
- Bake muffins at 350 degrees F. for 15-18 minutes, or until slightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs.
- Allow muffins to cool 1 minute in the muffin pan before transferring to a cooling rack.
*You can use any kind of milk for this recipe–dairy or non-dairy. Whatever you drink! If you don’t have/can’t find tapioca starch or arrowroot, you can substitute cornstarch.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-18 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free lemon poppy seed muffins, paleo lemon poppy seed muffins, almond flour lemon poppy seed muffins, lemon poppy seed muffins, healthy lemon poppy seed muffins