Yummy bacon potato salad tossed with a quick homemade ranch dressing. We love this fun take on classic potato salad! (Gluten-Free & Whole30)
For The Ranch Dressing:
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2–4 Tablespoons Milk or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt (I like more salt!)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For The Bacon Potato Salad:
- 2 lbs. Red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2“-3/4” pieces
- 6–8 Slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 Green onions, thinly sliced
- 2–4 Tablespoons chopped dill or parsley (or a mix)
- Ranch dressing (above)
Start By Cooking The Potatoes:
- Place diced potatoes into a large pot. Pour water over the potatoes, until the water is 1″ above the potatoes.
- Add 1/2 tsp. salt to the water and cover with a lid.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium high heat and boil potatoes 12-15 minutes, or until potatoes are still slightly firm but tender. You don’t want them crunchy by any means but also don’t want them soft enough to fall apart or mash. A fork should easily pierce the potatoes (I recommend pulling a potato out of the water to test it for best results.)
- Drain the potatoes, letting them cool slightly.
While The Potatoes Are Cooking, Mix Up The Ranch Dressing:
- In a small bowl or a jar, combine mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp. of the milk or water, cider vinegar, dill, garlic & onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Whisk or blend together until smooth.
- Taste and add additional salt, pepper, or seasonings to taste.
- Add additional milk/water if desired for a thinner consistency.
- Ranch dressing will keep for 1 week covered in the refrigerator.
When The Potatoes Are Done, Assemble The Salad:
- After the potatoes are drained and slightly cooled, transfer them into a large mixing bowl.
- Add crumbled bacon (reserve a bit for garnish), green onion, 2 Tablespoons chopped herbs, and about 3/4 of the ranch dressing.
- Gently stir to combine everything, adding more dressing as desired.
- Garnish with a little extra bacon, green onion, herbs, or pepper, cover & chill at least 1 hour in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Potato salad will stay fresh 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Remember that this salad can only stay at room temperature safely for 2 hours at a time. Store in the refrigerator whenever possible!
MORE GOODIES TO TRY. If you like a little crunch in your potato salad, feel free to add a stalk or two of sliced celery. Or, if you eat dairy, a little grated cheddar cheese can be lovely! Or, you can mix in some chopped hard-boiled eggs.
MIX IT UP WITH YOGURT OR SOUR CREAM. If you like, you can use half sour cream or half plain Greek yogurt with the mayo. This will give a slightly tangier ranch dressing, which can be a fun change of pace. (Note that this is not Whole30)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bacon ranch potato salad, ranch potato salad recipe, bacon potato salad recipe, whole30 potato salad