Bacon-Wrapped Scallops – These tender scallops are wrapped in smoky bacon for a double-dose of flavor. They’re the perfect paleo appetizer or special occasion dinner! (Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole30)
- 1 lb. large jumbo scallops (Mine are 16–20 size*)
- 8–10 slices bacon** (You’ll use 1/2 a slice per scallop)
- 1/4–1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4–1/2 tsp. pepper
Optional, for garnish: fresh herbs, like parsley, basil, dill, or cilantro.
- Place 16-20 toothpicks in a small bowl or cup of water (helps prevent scorching in the oven)
- Arrange a rack in the center of your oven.
- Line a baking sheet with foil (optional, to catch the drippings) and top with a metal cooling rack (to promote more even cooking and crisper bacon).
- Preheat the broiler.
- Working in batches, par-cook the bacon slices for 2-3 minutes in a pan on medium heat on the stovetop (just till opaque, but not crisp) or place on a plate lined with paper towels and microwave 3-4 slices at a time for 1 minute. Repeat until all bacon is par-cooked. It should still be flexible.
- Optional: sprinkle par-cooked bacon slices with a bit of pepper.
- Use a sharp knife or kitchen shears to cut all bacon strips in half lengthwise (the long way).
- Pat scallops dry with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Sprinkle scallops generously with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the scallops with bacon. Take 1 strip of bacon (remember to cut it in half lengthwise first) and wrap tightly around the outside of the scallop. Secure the end by pressing a toothpick through the loose end all the way through the scallop. Repeat until all scallops are wrapped.
- Arrange scallops on the wire rack on the baking sheet, spaced evenly apart to allow for good air circulation.
- Place on middle rack in the oven and broil 8-10 minutes, or until the scallops are opaque and the bacon is crisping. (For even cooking, rotate pan halfway through the cook time)
- Garnish with additonal salt, pepper, and fresh herbs as desired.
*16-20 refers to how many scallops per pound. If you’re buying frozen scallops, the bag will give you a size range. If yours are smaller (meaning a higher number per pound), you may need more bacon and/or a shorter cook time.
**If you’re following Whole30, be sure to use program-approved bacon (sugar free, nitrate-free/uncured)
- Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Appetizer
- Method: Broil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Bacon Wrapped Scallops, Bacon-Wrapped Scallops, Bacon Scallops, Broiled Scallops