Baked Penne with Roasted Veggies – This cozy vegetarian baked penne is loaded with vegetables and tastes amazing. The perfect meatless family dinner! (Gluten-Free + Vegan-Friendly)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced or cut into 1” pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced or cut into 1” pieces
- 1 small onion, sliced or cut into 1” pieces
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced or quartered.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
- 12 oz. penne pasta (use brown rice pasta for gluten-free)
- 3 cups marinara sauce or pasta sauce
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 3/4 cup frozen peas (don’t thaw)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese or dairy-free mozzarella-style cheese
- salt + pepper + red pepper flakes to taste
- Optional: red pepper flakes, fresh basil, or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and stir a bit to coat. Sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if desired).
- Place pan in the oven and roast veggies about 20-25 minutes, or till veggies are softened.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, removing from the water 1-2 minutes early (this will help prevent over-cooking the pasta).
- Drain the pasta and return to the pan. Stir in spinach and pasta sauce.
- When the veggies are done cooking, stir in the roasted vegetables. Stir in frozen peas.
- Transfer the pasta and veggies mixture to a 9×13″ (3-quart) baking dish. Sprinkle mozzarella or vegan mozzarella (as desired) on top of the pasta and veggies mixture and bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: penne with roasted veggies, penne with roasted vegetables, baked penne, baked ziti, pasta with roasted veggies, gluten free baked penne, gluten free pasta