Stuffed Cabbage Roll Soup – The BEST Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe! This soup is packed with flavor and SO delicious! (Gluten Free, Paleo Friendly)
- 8–12oz Italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 3–4 cups green cabbage, chopped or thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- (optional: 1-2 cups extra veggies such as diced zucchini, carrots, bell peppers, or baby spinach)
- 2/3 cup uncooked rice (or 1 cup cauliflower rice)
- 1 (14oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (or regular diced tomatoes)
- 3 cups vegetable juice
- 4–5 cups broth (veggie or beef), plus more as needed.
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- Heat a small drizzle of olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot.
- Add sausage and cook over medium heat until completely cooked through, 6-8 minutes.
- Add onion (and extra veggies, if using). Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and saute over medium heat 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
- Add cabbage and garlic and cook 5-7 minutes more.
- Add uncooked rice, canned tomatoes, vegetable juice, and broth. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook 20-30 minutes, or until rice is cooked through and veggies are tender, adding more water or broth as desired.
- Stir in fresh basil and serve!
If you’re grain free or doing a Whole30, you can add extra veggies to this soup in place of the rice. I like adding about 1 cup grated zucchini and then a combination of diced bell peppers and carrots).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cabbage Roll soup, Stuffed Cabbage Roll Soup, Cabbage Soup