Caramelized onions can be made a day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4–1c diced mango
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2–3 Tbsp minced cilantro
- grated cheese (cheddar or pepper jack are nice)*
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 4 tortillas (10-inch)*
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- In a large saute pan, caramelize onions with a small drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Stir often, and cook 15-20 minutes or so, until onions are golden brown, tender, and sweet. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together onions, beans, mango, bell pepper, cilantro, lime juice, and chili powder. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide filling among the 4 tortillas, placing filling on one half of the tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese and fold tortillas in half to cover the filling and cheese. Cook in a dry pan over medium heat until golden, about 4-5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until golden and cheese is melted, another 3-5 minutes.
*Gluten/Dairy Free Notes: Don’t roll your eyes on me, but you can skip the cheese. I love this filling even without the cheese. As for the tortillas, use brown rice tortillas. Easy-peasy!