For the sandwich filling:
- 1 – 1 1/4lbs ribeye steak, sliced thinly across the grain and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 6–8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2–3 tsp olive oil or butter
- salt and pepper
- provolone cheese
- 2 baguettes, sliced to form 6-8 pieces (or 6 hoagie-style rolls)*
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tsp olive oil or butter over medium heat. Add steak and cook until just cooked through, only 2-4 minutes. Remove to a plate. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Return the pan to the heat. Add peppers and onion to the pan. Cook 4-5 minutes, or until crisp tender (if you prefer them softer, just cook them a little longer). Add peppers and onions to the plate with the steak.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook 5-8 minutes until golden and browned. Turn off the heat. Return steak, peppers, and onions to the pan. Toss to combine. Top beef/vegetable mixture with provolone slices to melt.
- Divide filling among the buns. For a more authentic feel, wrap each sandwich tightly in foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Serve warm.
*For gluten free, serve on gluten free buns, like Udi’s. For dairy free, skip the cheese.