- 1c steel-cut oats*
- 3 1/2c water
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- scant 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2c dried cherries, roughly chopped
- 1/2c sliced almonds
- pure maple syrup, to taste
- almond or dairy milk, to serve
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in oats and a pinch of salt. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook 15-20 minutes, or until oats are tender and water is mostly absorbed.
- Stir in vanilla and almond extract. Stir in cherries and sliced almonds. Add a small drizzle of maple syrup, to taste (I only used a small drizzle).
- Add a small amount of almond or dairy milk to serve.
As with all steel-cut oats, leftovers can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week. To reheat, stir in a little milk or water and microwave until warm. You shouldn’t lose anything in taste or texture.
*Use GF oats for a gluten-free option. We like Bob’s Red Mill.