Healthy Chicken Sloppy Joes – These healthy sloppy joes are a lighter take on the classic! You’ll love the savory sauce and all our favorite ways to serve them!
Recipe adapted from Perrys Plate
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast (or ground chicken)*
- 1 (15oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion (NOT onion powder!) or 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (or coconut aminos, for paleo)
- 1/2 cup water
- In a Dutch oven (or large skillet with high sides), heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add ground chicken and cook 5-7 minutes or until completely cooked through. (If using diced fresh onion instead of dried onion, add the onion along with the ground chicken)
- When the chicken is cooked, add tomato sauce, ketchup, dried minced onion, mustard, chili powder, sage, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos.
- Add water and stir through to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat and simmer at least 20-30 minutes to allow the flavor to develop and the sauce to thicken. You can simmer this mixture up to 40-60 minutes if you have time, adding a splash of water as needed if the sauce thickens too much)
- After the sauce is done simmering, taste and add additional salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce etc. as needed. (If your tomato sauce was particularly acidic, you may appreciate adding a pinch of brown sugar or a small drizzle of pure maple syrup.)
- Serve on buns, in baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes, or over sweet potato fries.
*Can’t find ground chicken breast? Just add boneless skinless chicken breast to your food processor and pulse until no large pieces remain. It works like a charm! (That’s what I did for the chicken you see in these photos)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-60 mintues
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken sloppy joes, chicken sloppy joe recipe, healthy sloppy joes, healthy sloppy joe recipe, paleo sloppy joes, whole30 sloppy joes