You can top these any way you like–shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, etc. We kept things simple with a little green onion and cilantro, but top them to your heart’s desired!
For the Chile Colorado sauce:
- 1 (16oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 (2-3lb) beef roast
- Your favorite baked potatoes (sweet or white)
- sliced green onions, for garnish
- cilantro, for garnish
To make the sauce:
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in spices and salt, and cook over medium heat until fragrant. Add in tomato sauce and 2 cups of water, and whisk to combine.
- If cooking in the oven: pour sauce into a large Dutch oven and add roast. Cook at 325 degrees for 3-4 hours or until tender. Shred roast into the sauce, removing any fat or gristle. Serve over potatoes and garnish with green onions or cilantro, as desired.
- If cooking in the slow cooker: Pour sauce into slow cooker and add roast. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high 3-4 hours, or until meat is tender and easily pulls apart. Shred roast into the sauce, removing any fat or gristle. Serve over potatoes and garnish with green onions or cilantro as desired.