With just the right blend of smoky and sweet, these chipotle mashed sweet potatoes are the perfect side. (Gluten free, vegan, paleo AND Whole30 approved!)
- 5–6 cups diced, peeled sweet potatoes
- 3 Tbsp melted ghee, butter, or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4–1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (start with 1/4 tsp)
- 1/3–1/2 cup milk (I like unsweetened almond milk), plus more as needed
- Optional garnish: salt, pepper, minced fresh cilantro
COOK THE SWEET POTATOES:
- To steam: Heat about 2 inches of water in a pot with a steamer basket inserted inside. Water should NOT touch the bottom of the steamer basket. Add the sweet potatoes and cover the pan to bring the water to a boil. Steam for about 20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes mash easily with a fork.
- To boil: place sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil. Boil about 10-12 minutes, or until potatoes mash easily with a fork. Drain the water before transferring to a bowl for the next steps.
MAKE THE MASH:
- Place cooked (and drained, if necessary) sweet potatoes in a large, deep bowl.
- Add ghee/butter/olive oil, salt and pepper, 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder, and milk.
- Use a hand mixer, fork, or potato masher to mash the potatoes to your desired texture. (I like mine fairly smooth with just a bit of texture. Add more milk or butter/oil as needed.
- Taste and add additional salt, pepper, or chipotle chili powder to taste. Serve warm!
Which Kind of Sweet Potato? There are a LOT of different varieties of sweet potatoes. I recommend traditional orange sweet potatoes or garnet yams/sweet potatoes for this one. I’ve found they mash really well. The white and purple ones sometimes require a bit more work.
Can I Make These Ahead? Yep! You can do that two ways. 1) You can prep them entirely, then reheat and stir in a tiny drizzle of milk/water or butter/ghee to get the consistency back. 2) You can pre-steam or pre-boil the diced potatoes and then refrigerate them. When you’re ready to mash, all you have to do is reheat the potatoes, mash, and proceed as directed. It would be a great way to free up time and space during Thanksgiving!
Variations. I really REALLY love chipotle peppers packed in adobo sauce. It can be hard to find a good gluten free version (my favorite GF brand is La Costeña), and I haven’t ever found a paleo/grain free version in stores. If you’re not paleo/grain free, you can totally sub 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce.
Too spicy? If you unintentionally get heavy handed with the chipotle powder (I’ve been there!), you can tone the heat down with a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dish, Vegetables
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mashed sweet potatoes, chipotle sweet potatoes, chipotle mashed sweet potatoes, vegan mashed sweet potatoes, paleo mashed sweet potatoes