Creamy Tomato Basil Soup – You’d never guess that this creamy tomato soup is 100% vegan. No dairy, just deep, rich tomato basil flavor and a gorgeous velvety texture you’ll fall for over and over again.
- 3lbs tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt (or 1 tsp regular)
- 1 1/2tsp black pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
- 2c vegetable broth (you can also use chicken or beef broth)
- 2c lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- olive oil
- Toss roma tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil and spread into a single layer (I placed mine cut side up).
- Roast at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, saute onion in a drizzle of olive oil until transluscent and soft. Add red pepper flakes and garlic and saute 1-2 minutes or till fragrant. Add broth and about 2/3 of the basil.
- Add the roasted tomatoes to the soup pot and break them up with your spoon. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor till smooth, or use an immersion blender and puree in your soup pot.
- Garnish with the remaining basil.
- Category: Soup, Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan tomato soup, vegan tomato basil soup, vegan creamy tomato soup, vegan creamy tomato basil soup, creamy tomato basil soup, tomato basil soup, tomato soup, dairy free tomato soup